Tuesday 24 April 2012

Advice to fellow students or my views on using the internet during the exam


So the case is that if my class are chosen to take the exam this spring, we will be allowed to use the internet as a test project. My thoughts around whether using internet is an advantage or a disadvantage are divided. On one hand having access to internet will probably make my arguments more valid as I can base them on credible sources, especially if the theme of the exam requires knowledge. But on the other hand using internet will raise the bar, I believe that sensors will be stricter and expect more form you since we have access to internet. And most important of all you have to be able to list your sources correctly, luckily I learned that from my Norwegian-teacher.  It is quite hard to explain how to list your sources, as you have to learn how to use different functions on word, but I can try to explain. When you list yours sources you can either use footnotes or parentheses, most important of all you in the end of your text you have to list all your sources. You should write the link, the author, when it was written and the headline. It is also important to use reliable sources, here are some of mine favourites:

Sweet Search is a search engine that only searches sites that have been approves by a team of librarians, teachers and research experts. So you know that everything you find by using this search engine is reliable.  The search engine. Ref Seek is also a smart choice as it is designed only for academic use. Of course you can use Google as well, you just have to remember to be critical. Think about who has written the page/text/article and what its purpose is.  For example when I was looking after sources for my in-depth project about global warming, I preferred to get my information from sites founded by scientist rather than from a newspaper where a journalist had done some research and then written from their point of view.  



Above all, when being able to use the internet it is important not to copy too much from your sources. It is okay to steel one or two sentences, but it is preferable that you rewrite it, this way your voice will shine through the whole text. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on not stealing material. Always list your sources. In a school paper you should voice your view as well. It is important for me to stress the fact that those marking these exams will not be stricter with your class. You don't have to worry about that, they will be monitored! I think you will do well during your exam with the use of the internet!

    ReplyDelete